Tuesday, November 11, 2008

31st October 2008

Due to unexplained ultrasounds I was sent to Wellington Hospital for another ultrasound. I was 26 weeks and my baby was very small for gestation. The doctors said it could be for a number of reasons but the main concern was my placenta. After about 10 minutes of scanning from Dr Jeremy Tuohey we were told to wait in the waiting room. I could tell the news wasn't going to be good. The wait seemed to take forever. It was myself, my partner Antz, my mother and my daughter Nimeesha (miss 4 turning 21). Once Jeremy came back in I knew from the look on his face that it was bad news.
He basically said we had 2 options, 1. leave baby in to grow or 2. deliver baby. My placenta was only working at about 10% and he didn't know why. Baby was getting lack of oxygen, blood and everything needed to grow, hence the reason why she was so small. If we left her inside me she would most surely die. If we deliver baby there was also risk of her dying. The doctor left us to ponder over what he'd just told us but to us the choice was obvious. We were told of the risks involved with her being delivered so early and being so small, it was a number of things including spina bifida, blindness, deformities etc. They also told me that the chance of her surviving was only 50% and she may not even make it out of theatre. I had an injection of steroids to help strengthen baby's lungs and then we were off home to pack my bags and tell everybody we needed what was happening.
By 2pm I was back at Wellington Hospital and admitted to Ward 12. Everything was happening so fast. That night I was given a tour of the neonatal unit and shown where my baby would go and what to expect. It was all rather scary because the smallest babies in there were only 700gms. My baby was going to be smaller so there were definetely a lot more risks involved.

No comments: