Wednesday, November 12, 2008

1st November 2008

Well I was woken up at 6am to have an iv drip put into my arm. My veins aren’t very good so it took a bloody long time. I wanted to punch the doctor because she didn’t do it properly and I had said to her right from the start to put it in my hand. But no doctors know better!! Yeah right!! Anyway I tried to go back to sleep but didn’t really happen as doctors kept coming in to see me to let me know what was going to happen.
Just after 8am my brother in law Steve turned up with my father in law who had just got off the plane from Rarotonga. You can imagine how shocked he was to find out I was in the hospital. It was only a week ago that I was waving goodbye to him at the airport. They only stayed for about 10 minutes and then left as more doctors were coming in.
At 8.30am the midwife from the delivery suite came and said “Right come on let’s go!” I jumped out of bed absolutely shocked it was happening so quickly and we walked downstairs to the delivery suite. My Mum arrived soon after and got changed into her theatre gear. By this time my midwife Kuki had also arrived. We walked down the corridor into the theatre where I was greeted by what seemed like a million doctors and nurses in blue outfits wearing masks. I got straight up on the bed ready for the epidural. I have had an epidural before with Devante back in 1997 so I knew how unpleasant it was. It wasn’t until then that I actually realized what was going on and I started to cry. The doctors were telling me to relax, easy for them to say!! I finally got myself together enough for the epidural which hurt like bloody hell. Straight away I could feel my legs go warm and the doctors turned me around lay me down and then did their thing.
I was absolutely petrified that I was going to feel everything and it must have shown on my face. The anesthetist doctor must’ve noticed because he said to me “It’s okay love, they’ve already cut you so you aren’t going to feel anything if you can’t feel it now.”
I don’t know how long the actual procedure took but all I remember is hearing my precious little baby cry. At that point I completely lost it and couldn’t stop bawling. I thought the doctor had said it was a boy, but then the nurse said I had a little daughter. I couldn’t believe it. They brang her over to show me her before they whisked her off to the neonatal unit.

My baby girl was born at 10.05am and weighed only 440gms and measuring 25cm long.
I went into recovery at about 11.15am and Antz arrived soon after at around 11.30am. Him and mum went upstairs to see baby but they were getting ready to put her lines in so they came back downstairs. Antz doesn’t like to see those sort of things done to people he cares about hence the reason why he didn’t come in with me.
I didn’t get to see my daughter until the next day as I had to stay in bed and I got sick that night.

No comments: